“If I cut this out, I know I’ll be able to lose 5 pounds by next week, it has always worked before.” Have you ever thought like this? It’s time to take a new approach because that one is old, tired and doesn’t work. It actually tends to slow your metabolism, causing you to plateau and feel angry, guilty and frustrated.
Shrinking is also relative because you can actually see a higher number on the scale when in actuality you have gone down in pants size and inches. The number is a head game that often has you on the losing side. If you absolutely must look at the scale, weigh yourself 1x/week on the same day and time, but just to reiterate, this could mess your head up even more.
So back to the point, I am about to give you 5 of the many secrets on how you can Eat, Drink and Still Shrink
- Drink at least 1 1/2 liters of water a day. Buy a 1 1/2 liter bottle and keep it with you at all times. Add a pinch of Celtic Sea Salt to your bottle everyday. By having this bottle, there can be no errors or misjudgments as to how much you actually had to drink. This one secret alone, will cause you to begin to shrink and keep you well hydrated to boot. If you are also going to drink some coffee, make sure you have an extra serving of water equal to the coffee serving size.
- If you are a salad person, I want you to add as many vegetables, proteins, seeds and beans as possible into your meal. By adding tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, chick peas, peppers, carrots, artichokes, sunflower seeds, goji berries, pumpkin seeds and grilled chicken you are adding loads of phytonutrients, protein, vitamins and minerals that all serve the purpose of making you extra healthy and extra full. If you top of your salad with some sliced avocado and use a fresh extra virgin cold pressed olive oil with vinegar, apple cider vinegar or lemon, you have now added healthy fat to your lunch. Your body loves and needs the “healthy fats” to lose fat. Your brain will quickly get the message that your stomach is full (since it received so many nutrients) and you will lose your appetite. These items also take more time to chew, have tons of fiber and you will burn more calories due to the fact that their fiber makes your body work harder to digest them. The last bonus is that this lunch, including a protein, has now given you all the macronutrients you need to have a complete meal.
- Find out what your Metabolic Type is because once you have this information, you will have a map to feed your body the exact food blueprint you need to have your body functioning at it’s best. That translates to looking your best, being at your optimal weight and not having to struggle anymore. You can use this link to take a basic MT test to use as a starting point, just scroll down to PPS Metabolic typing test. If you feel good eating this way or are just intrigued by the thought of your own food map and would like to learn more about this and have the original test run on you (It’s painless) just send me an email at Randi@coreandmorehealthandfitness.com Ok back to the link for the free initial test: http://coreandmorehealthandfitness.com/links/
- Rethink your snacks because they can have a big impact on whether you SHRINK or grow in the wrong directions. The best tip I want to share with you here is to be prepared for anything. If you spend your day at an office, load up with foods that you enjoy, will give your body benefits and lead the way to shrinking. Think about the times when you are hit with the feed me 10 minutes ago feeling. You just need food (any food) to help your crashing sugar levels or because you forgot to eat earlier or purposely thought you would save some calories by missing a meal or two. Chances are the nearest food to grab will be processed CRAP. Wow! wouldn’t it be different if you were prepared? Try these go to snacks, which will all fill you up, get used and not stored as fat by your body and taste good too.
- Store some Hummus, Guacamole and/or Salsa in the fridge. Now dip away, use anything crunchy like carrots, cucumber, celery, apple slices, jicama, peppers or some Late July tortilla chips. These choices are delicious and nutritious. Your body gets nutrients plus healthy fats.
- Roast some shrimp the night before and bring them in for a snack. Put raw shrimp drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt and pepper in the oven and roast on 425 for about 12-15 minutes. This is simple and delicious and a great filling snack.
- You could pick up some brown rice avocado rolls to munch on
- Fresh fruit such as apples, oranges, clementines, or pineapple are always portable, cheap and easy. Just make sure your apples are organic (see EWG.org for more info) Have some raw, cubed cheddar or gouda cheese with your fruit for a more complete snack.
- Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries pack a mean punch. They fill you up with nutrients and fiber yet are very low in sugar. These should be organic and if that’s not possible, maybe go for frozen organic berries.
- A Green Smoothie is an amazing snack that will keep you full, healthy and alert. Many stores now have juice bars or you can make it at home. Try this recipe: 1 cup organic grapes or 3/4 cup of cantaloupe, 1/2 cup of pineapple, 1 peeled orange, 1/3 banana, 2 cups of spinach, 1 cored organic apple and 1 tsp of chia seeds. Add 2 scoops of ice and blend. This is delicious.
- Make or buy Kale chips to satisfy your crunch factor
- Lastly, a good idea is to have some almond butter available so you can put it on some Sami’s millet and flax bread, celery, bananas or apple slices
5. I could give you more food advice but in order for any of this to work, you need to be getting enough quality SLEEP. Without enough sleep, your body will produce to much cortisol which is a fat storing, stress hormone. Cortisol is the ultimate sabotage to your being your best. Sleep will do wonders for your body, mind and appearance. Sleep is slimming, invigorating and needed. Start by going to bed just 10 minutes earlier each weeknight, until you are getting up to an hour or more of extra sleep a night. In a few weeks, if you have followed these 5 secrets, get out a tape measure and be amazed at the inches you may have lost.
Obviously, this is just a drop in the bucket, but if you re-read this you will notice that I haven’t asked you to give up 1 single solitary food item you may be eating now. I just want you to add more variety in, which is a huge KEY. As many of you may know, I am also a certified Personal trainer, Exercise coach and Golf Performance Specialist which almost makes this next statement obvious BUT you need to move. Movement is exercise so the best thing to do is begin with what you like and put your energy there. I will begin to address exercise and the differences between weight training and cardio.
Here’s a preview: I NEVER exercise on any of the cardio machines at the gym, yet I lost 30 pounds over 10 years ago and have never gained any back. I also love food.
More to come, but please begin with the 5 secrets to Eating and Drinking and still Shrinking!
Be Healthy and Happy and remember to Laugh a lot,